1.Tithes are scriptural both in the Old and New Testament. Yahushua while rebuking the Pharisees pointed out that tithes should be paid. Luke 11:42 But woe to you Pharisees! For though you are careful to tithe even the smallest part of your income, you completely forget about justice and the love of God. You should tithe, yes, but you should not leave these other things undone. Living Bible. Christians should tithe.
2. You would observe from the scripture above that our Master and Lord, Yahushua Mashiach / Christ, pointed out that while tithing was a requirement, there are more important things. In many of our churches today, there is an unhealthy preoccupation with tithes without the same concern for righteousness, holiness, heaven-readiness and the will of God. Pastors and flock ought to demonstrate a greater concern with eternity than tithes.
3. All other offerings apart from tithes should be freewill offerings. We find no scriptural basis for teachings that require people to give 100% of their first income in the year as Firstfruit. People can do so if they wish, but it should be freewill. We find no scriptural basis for a doctrine or practice that requires 100% of any income. Those who want to should do so out of their own volition. Also people should honour their pastors and spiritual leaders materially and financially, people should sow seed towards specific projects; but all should be freewill. It should be done willingly without application of undue pressure.
4. Most will think that the most important verse in Malachi is the popular verse Mal 3:8-10 “Will a man rob God? Surely not! And yet you have robbed me. “‘What do you mean? When did we ever rob you?’ “You have robbed me of the tithes and offerings due to me. 9 And so the awesome curse of God is cursing you, for your whole nation has been robbing me. 10 Bring all the tithes into the storehouse so that there will be food enough in my Temple; if you do, I will open up the windows of heaven for you and pour out a blessing so great you won’t have room enough to take it in! “Try it! Let me prove it to you! Living Bible
While many may think that Malachi is primarily about tithes and not robbing God, on the contrary the core of the message of Malachi is a warning to spiritual leaders to ensure true worship:
Mal 1:6-10 “A son honors his father, a servant honors his master. I am your Father and Master, yet you don’t honor me, O priests, but you despise my name.” “Who? Us?” you say. “When did we ever despise your name?” 7 “When you offer polluted sacrifices on my altar.” “Polluted sacrifices? When have we ever done a thing like that?” “Every time you say, ‘Don’t bother bringing anything very valuable to offer to God!’ 8 You tell the people, ‘Lame animals are all right to offer on the altar of the Lord-yes, even the sick and the blind ones.’ And you claim this isn’t evil? Try it on your governor sometime-give him gifts like that-and see how pleased he is! 9 “‘God have mercy on us,’ you recite; ‘God be gracious to us!’ But when you bring that kind of gift, why should he show you any favor at all? 10 “Oh, to find one priest among you who would shut the doors and refuse this kind of sacrifice! I have no pleasure in you,” says the Lord Almighty, “and I will not accept your offerings.
Mal 2:1-2; 7-9 Listen, you priests, to this warning from the Lord Almighty: “If you don’t change your ways and give glory to my name, then I will send terrible punishment upon you, 7 “Priests’ lips should flow with the knowledge of God so the people will learn God’s laws. The priests are the messengers of the Lord Almighty, and men should come to them for guidance. 8 But not to you! For you have left God’s paths. Your ‘guidance’ has caused many to stumble in sin. You have distorted the covenant of Levi and made it into a grotesque parody,” says the Lord Almighty. 9 “Therefore, I have made you contemptible in the eyes of all the people; for you have not obeyed me, but you let your favorites break the law without rebuke.” Living Bible
5. Polluted sacrifices will include tithes and offerings from corrupt sources, offerings from people living in obvious sins such as immorality, etc.
6. IN THE WORLD WHERE THERE IS SO MUCH BRIBERY AND CORRUPTION, THERE IS SOMETHING SERIOUSLY WRONG ABOUT REMINDING PEOPLE NOT TO ROB GOD WITHOUT REMINDING THEM NOT TO ROB THEIR BOSSES, NOT TO ACCEPT OR GIVE BRIBES, AND NOT TO BRING CORRUPT TITHES AND OFFERINGS TO GOD.